Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

As an Indie Author, I have become acquainted with the work of many other Indie Authors from different genres. I have found that we have several things in common. For example, most of us are self-published, we do our own marketing and promoting, we work long hours everyday, and we have a passion for writing. The latter is what moves us forward in the difficult world of self-publishing. There are no words to describe the joy of seeing your work published.

The best way to get to know an author is to read about their work and what inspires them. You may find out things you that will inspire you to pick up one of their books and see what it's about. You may even be inspired to become an author as well!

I boarded this blog hop because I received an invitation from an author I truly admire. She has a fire, a spunk if you will, about her. Her hard work and determination are an inspiration to me. Her name is Karli Rush.

So what's the big deal about a blog hop? Well it's an opportunity to read about an author and their books or work in progress. You also have the opportunity to meet new authors and see which authors they are raving about.

Karli Rush– A big THANK YOU for contacting me and asking if I’d like to take part.
This whole amazing thing originated on a site called She Writes it is designed to raise awareness of our work, or work in progress. We do that by answering ten questions about it. We graciously thank the person who nominated us, and tag five other authors whose work could well be that NEXT BIG THING.

Interview Questions

What is the working title of your book?

The working title of my new book is Winter Rayne.

Where did the idea for the book come from?

I don't really recall. I only remember that an English professor at the J.C. I attended would encourage my writing and she kept telling me that I should write a book. One day I decided to just go for it and I bought a netbook to start off with. I stared at the screen blankly for a while and then I just started typing the first thing that popped into my mind. After that, the story just flowed and even evolved into something I would have never imagined.

What genre does your book fall under?

It falls under YA paranormal/speculative fiction. That was what I meant when I said it evolved into something I would have never imagined. I thought I would write things about regular, plain everyday life, but I'm glad it turned YA paranormal because it opened up an entirely new world for me.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Wow this is a question that required a lot of thought. But this is sort of what I picture in my mind when I think of the characters in Winter Rayne.

Rayne= Maite Perroni or Danna Paola
Cyndi= Samandhi (Mexican T.V. Actress)
Kay= Belinda (famous actress/singer)
Travis= Luke Pasqualino
Derek= Taylor Lautner
Catalina= Salma Hayek or Jackie Garcia (Televisa)
Lexi= Katherine Heigl
Steve= Jake Gyllenhaal
Brandon= Zach Efron (with brown contacts)

What is the one sentence synopsis for your book?

She thought she lived a somewhat normal teenage life, until she found out the truth of her origins and was forced to fight for her very existence.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

It will be self-published.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I generally don't write complete first drafts. I write, edit, and revise at the same time. I know it's more time consuming, but I find that sometimes my story goes in a better direction than it would have otherwise. I don't like the idea of writing it all down and then having to go back and change a whole bunch of things because I decide to change one small thing when I could have done it in the first place.

What other books would you compare this story to, within your genre?

Wow, this is a tough one. I haven't seen any books about this particular subject before, so I'm quite interested in finding out readers' reactions to it. But the basic story line can be compared to a lot of YA paranormal books. There is a love story, teenage angst, friendships, betrayal, and family secrets.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

As I previously stated, one of my English professors inspired me. Thank you Ms. Lazar!

What else about your book might pique the readers’ interest?

If they like romance, drama, action, fight scenes, and intrigue, they will love Winter Rayne.

These are links to other authors who have participated in "The Next Big Thing" Blog Hop.

Karli Rush


Mina J. Moore


Christina Moore

Dana Delamar

Carol DeVaney